2007-06-26

It's a Signature Thing.


A lot of people ask me why I sign my canvasses "Nicholas".
  • According to my mom's old 1958 Webster dictionary, Colin is orig. dim. of Nicholas. Believe it.
  • "Colin Williams" is pretty generic-sounding. I mean, I could be called "Jones" or "Smith" or something....
  • "C. Williams" or "Colin W" looks dumb in paint.
  • CMD Williams is equally dumb. And I don't want to be one of those guys who you never know their actual first names: AY Jackson, JEH MacDonald, AJ Casson, JMW Turner. Can you imaging? "Yo CMD, 'sup?" Uh huh.
  • I am sure there are other Colin Williamses painting today, even in Victoria.
  • It sounds kinda Dutch, and I'm half Dutch (Frisian actually.)
  • I've been signing it that way for years.
So there.

C.

2 comments:

boeydad said...

Yo nic, 'sup?

Nicholas Williams said...

Bin rockin the cage, bro.