2008-01-11

Life Drawing, Jan. 6

Went to Life Drawing at Xchanges again with my freind IJ. Artists have been drawing from the live model since at least the Late Rennaissence, and it traditionally forms a large part of an artist's training. Because it's so blazingly difficult! This is where the rubber hits the road. To do this, and do this well is a mark of professionalism, and we all know it. And I'm still not sure how well I do it. It shows up any flaw in technique, skill or focus, and is frustrating enough that I want to keep coming back for more--to conquer it. Nature is a tyrant.

I find the male model much more difficult than the female model--with the 2 sessions I've attended, I've had both. Men lack the smooth line transitions and have delightful blocky masses and sharper angles. 'Course, I like looking at women more :) but humanity is beautiful in most of it's forms, I am coming to realise..... I'm not always proud to be a part of this family of critters, eh? but I'm not above celebrating my species in all its (sometimes hairy-chested, paunchy-@$$ed) glory. Spirit meets matter in all of us.

After, IJ and I hung in a bus-shelter, drank beer, smoked clove cigarettes, and waved at passing cops. IJ is a punk chica, totally cool, and I am honoured to be her collegue and friend. I am also convinced that she is a Metamorphmagus, since she has the ability to change her hair-colour at will.

The greatest blessing in my life is my freinds. How many times do I need to be reminded of this before it finally sinks in??

Family too, you know. I love all my people. So if you are reading this, remember to keep in touch, OK? Because you are my most valuable asset.

No comments: